8:36:00 AM
5
Last year I wasn't thrilled with the few recipes that I did with figs. In fact I don't think that there was one that I could say that I wanted to try again this year other than the incredible basic jam and the fig newtons.

I was very excited to see that the trees had produced enough ripe figs to get my first batch into jars for the season. I wanted the recipe to be different and this year I wasn't going to pulverize the figs in the jam and let them cook down naturally. I looked to my "go to" books but found that the basics were pretty much the same; strawberry fig jam, fig preserve and figs in a mincemeat. I know that the fig is a very low acid fruit and requires acid in the form of bottled lemon juice and wanted to find a flavor other than lemon to pair with the figs.

I took a peek around the land of "google" to see what popular pairings were popping up when I typed in figs. Unbelievably the one that came up the most was orange.

Here is my new recipe which I hope that you will try. It is really perfect pairing for the first figs in the jar for 2011!

Fig Heaven Jam


4 cups fresh figs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey (sage honey is best)
Zest of two medium navel oranges
1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
Fig Heaven Jam
1 1/2 T. Ball no sugar/low sugar pectin 


In a small dutch oven or stainless steel pot add quartered figs, sugar and zest of oranges. Bring mixture up to a simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add honey and lemon juice. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes then bring to boil. Add pectin and return to a boil for one minute.


Ladle fig jam into 4 half pint sterilized jars. Make sure to fill leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles, refilling if needed.  Wipe rims and add hot lids and rings. Process in a water bath at a full boil for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool on a dish towel overnight. Check jars the next day for seal. Remove rings and store in pantry.



Popular Posts

FACEBOOK LINK

Shoot me an Email!

Name

Email *

Message *

Shop Now

Canning Accessories

Pressure Canners